Albeit with an approximate 30% of reduction of key air pollution over the past few years, Hong Kong’s public health is not sufficiently protected.
Due to high level of roadside air pollution, a large percentage of the population are constantly exposed to substantial health risks, with a direct impact on our health and in some cases our lives, with an economic impact as well.
Over the last 20 years, roadside air pollution has stayed as high as two times the WHO’s standard. Relying on Environment policies alone to reduce emission from vehicle is not enough to bring the roadside air pollution down to safe level, by year 2020. The HKSAR government must implement transport demand management solutions to improve roadside air quality and hence Transport and Housing Bureau should be held accountable.
In order to safeguard public health, CAN urges the Chief Executive to deliver the below in her first Policy Address –
1) establish air pollution reduction target for Transport and Housing Bureau;
2) delegate Food and Health Bureau to lower the health risks of non-communicable diseases posed by air pollution;
3) delegate Environment Bureau to immediately tighten HK’s Air Quality Objectives to WHO AQGs.
In the past decades, the number of registered vehicles has increased drastically from 530,000 to 820,000. This seriously worsens traffic congestion thus roadside pollution. Furthermore, the prolonged journey time also increases the commuters’ exposure to roadside air pollution.
We need your immediate support to urge government to implement policies to curb vehicle numbers.
Effectiveness of existing Low Emission Zones (LEZ) is questionable.
The existing LEZ only included a few street blocks in Causeway Bay, Central and Mongkok. We dubbed as “low emission streets”. LEZ solely regulates buses, but franchised buses only account for 40% of total traffic accounts in busy areas, whilst the remaining 60% consists of other vehicles. That means it cannot achieve real emissions reduction.
In order to accommodate the LEZ , government shifts bus routes and uses older bus models in area out of the LEZ. Neglecting equally polluted areas such as Tsim Sha Tsui.
We petition to﹕
Hong Kong’s current Air Quality Objectives are set far below the World Health Organisation Air Quality Guildelines
Failure to comply to such standard raises citizens’ mortality rate by 2.5-15%. Expensive medical bills and lost of productivity causes Hong Kong $39 billion per year. To protect public health and the environment, we petition to:
we petition to
CAN is very disappointed that the authorities has decided to shelve the installation of onshore power supply for Kai Tak Cruise Terminal. Ocean going ships are Hong Kong’s biggest pollution source. On shore power system avoids the burning of fuels on ships berthing cruises. Its social benefits is estimated to bring 5.23 hundred millions per year and avoid 42 premature deaths.
To protect public health, we urge the government to: